Senior Data Engineer
The Group Digital Capabilities (GDC) division contributes to the client's competitiveness by delivering reliable and sustainable IT solutions for the financial securities markets.
Our teams deliver new IT solutions and improve existing applications for both our internal and external clients. We deploy changes into the production environment in a controlled and structured way that does not compromise production stability and we ensure applicative production support.
Within the GDC Division, the Data Analytics team supports the needs for advanced analytics from all the entities of the Group. The team helps to transform data into insights using techniques such as text mining, machine learning, process mining, network analytics, predictive modelling,…
The Advanced Analytics team in Group Data Capabilities division is currently looking for a Senior Data Engineer with design skills whose core objectives will be to:
- Collect, clean, prepare and load the necessary data onto Hadoop, our Data Analytics Platform, so that these can be used for reporting purposes; creating insights and responding to business challenges
- Act as a liaison between the team and other stakeholders and contribute to support the Hadoop cluster and the compatibility of all the different software that run on the platform (Scala, Spark, Python, …).
- Identify the most appropriate data sources to use for a given purpose and understand their structures and contents, in collaboration with subject matter experts.
- Extract structured and unstructured data from the source systems (relational databases, data warehouses, document repositories, file systems, …), prepare such data (cleanse, re-structure, aggregate, …) and load them onto Hadoop.
- Actively support the reporting teams in the data exploration and data preparation phases.
- Implement data quality controls and where data quality issues are detected, liaise with the data supplier for joint root cause analysis
- Be able to autonomously design data pipelines, develop them and prepare the launch activities
- Properly document your code, share and transfer your knowledge with the rest of the team to ensure a smooth transition into maintenance and support of production applications
- Liaise with IT infrastructure teams to address infrastructure issues and to ensure that the components and software used on the platform are all consistent
- Experience with analysis and creation of data pipelines, data architecture, ETL/ELT development and with processing structured and unstructured data
- Proven experience with using data stored in RDBMSs and experience or good understanding of NoSQL databases
- Ability to write performant Scala code and SQL statements
- Ability to design with focus on solutions that are fit for purpose whilst keeping options open for future needs
- Ability to analyze data, identify issues (e.g. gaps, inconsistencies) and troubleshoot these
- Have a true agile mindset, capable and willing to take on tasks outside of her/his core competencies to help the team
- Experience in working with customers to identify and clarify requirements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, good customer relationship skills
- Strong interest in the financial industry and related data.
Will be considered as assets:
- Knowledge of Python and Spark
- Understanding of the Hadoop ecosystem including Hadoop file formats like Parquet and ORC
- Experience with open source technologies used in Data Analytics like Spark, Pig, Hive, HBase, Kafka, …
- Ability to write MapReduce & Spark jobs
- Knowledge of Cloudera
- Knowledge of IBM mainframe
- Knowledge of AGILE development methods such as SCRUM is clearly an asset.